I just decided around Halloween that I need to make wreaths for every holiday. Well, I decided I needed a Halloween one, and, afterwards, my door just looked too empty without one.
I will say it’s not as easy as it looks on that site. The results were worth it, though!
- I cut the hook part of the hanger off with wire cutters instead of attempting to untwist it and straighten it. My wreath is still a pretty awesome size.
- My husband had to straighten the hanger for me. I’m apparently a weakling.
- Don’t skip the glue part. I attempted to, and the ornaments kept falling off. It takes a while, but it really is required.
- I bought cheap, shatter proof ornaments. I believe the bigger ones were in packs of 22, and I bought three of them; light blue, purple, and green. The small, blue ones came in a pack of 55 I think. I didn’t use them all, but I wanted the variation in colors. I didn’t count how many I used. I wish I would have. The tutorial says around 80, which I think is about right for me as well.
- I tried to keep a pattern while stringing them on the hanger. However, they all shifted when I moved it. I think imperfection works best here, though.
- To close it, I made a loop on one end of the hanger and a hook on the other. Put the hook through the loop and squeeze it shut.
- Because everything shifted when I closed the loop and picked it up, I actually hot glued a few more ornaments into empty spaces.
- I just added some ribbon to hang it with instead of doing the whole ‘hang it with the hook end of a hanger’ thing. It worked just fine.
We had enough ornaments left over to do another project. I took the jars I used for my creepy Halloween decoration, cleaned them out, and filled them with the extra ornaments.
However, Kitten McNugget sits in the foyer, staring at the peacock on the wreath for hours at a time. Weird cats are weird.