While Trinity and I were in the car the other day, we were discussing various things. As usual for our family, the topic veered towards zombies. This particular day, we began discussing animals in the post-zombie apocalypse world. Trinity raised some important questions, and I would like your opinion.
We’re assuming a zombie very similar to those in The Walking Dead. Here are the background facts:
- Everyone is infected with a virus, and, no matter how you die, you turn. Well, head wounds, brain damage, or anything that would kill a zombie would prevent turning.
- A bite from a zombie doesn’t turn you; it just kills you. I’m not sure if it’s a secondary virus, a type of bacteria, or a venom that they carry, but it’s very quick moving. If you’re able to amputate the affected area fast enough, you can save a life. By ‘fast enough’ I mean within a few minutes.
- There have never, to the best of my knowledge, been a sighting of a zombie animal. It seems only people are infected with the zombie virus.
- Zombies do eat animals, however.
- It’s unclear if zombie ‘venom’ is fatal to animals.
Trinity’s first questions was brought up because we saw a bunch of Turkey Vultures circling a wooded area. In case you didn’t know, they are scavengers and eat dead animals.
Her questions was this: Would vultures eat zombies? She said, “Well, technically they are dead, but they’re still moving.” So, would the movement scare them off? What about ‘dead’ zombies? Would eating a zombie kill the vulture?
This also goes along with her Zombie Apocalypse Dream House planning. She wants to add a moat that is full of piranhas. Would the piranhas be able to survive dining on a zombie? Would piranhas want to eat zombies?
She’s an amazingly creative child, and I have no doubt she could be a writer if she wanted to. I didn’t know how to answer these questions. So, I’m hoping one of you can help solve these mysteries for her!
Also, I have the coolest kid ever.